At a glance
Lake levels are extremely low this year due to lack of winter and spring snowfall, but fishing should still continue to be good. Chevelon Lake is the exception and completely filled this year, so launching a boat should be fairly easy. As water levels are low, water temps are generally higher. Check the stocking schedule and choose your spot accordingly.
Tip: Willow Springs and Woods Canyon have been fishing great. Pack a rain jacket.Get the next report
- Balance leeches under an indicator
- Peacock ladies
- Large streamers
- Extremely Low
- Try: Black River (West Fork)
- Highs: 80’s
- Lows: 70’s
- Rain: very likely
- Your favorite OHV
- Rod: 9ft 5wt (a 6wt is good for rain/wind)
Mother Nature’s Mood
What to expect
Expect temperatures in the mid-low 80’s during the day and dropping into the low 70’s at night. Rain is likely during this time of the year, but this week’s forecast looks dry!
We’re building an online shop!
The online store will feature gear we love and will have (eventually) an even greater selection to choose from.
You’ll also be able to browse items you can’t find anywhere else, like original artwork and prints from local artists, and more!
Gear worth bragging about
Awesome gear takes your day on the water from great, to frickin’ awesome! We admit it, the gear doesn’t make the angler…but it definitely helps.
- Balance leeches under an indicator has been the go-to set up for the lakes.
- Grab a 9ft 5wt, but consider something lighter if it’s raining and windy. A 6wt is a good choice.
Check the water before you go!
- The water levels are low for all of the lakes on the rim but the Arizona Game and Fish have been stocking the lakes steadily, so they are fishing well.
Is fishing good
Mongollon Rim Lakes
At the Salt River fishing is Very good Trout are being stocked regularly Sonora Sucker fishing is still red hot and bass is still eating small streamers and even nymphs!