Black Canyon of the Gunnison – World-class trout fishing in Colorado’s Gunnison River Gorge
July 2nd – 5th, 2023
$4,000 per two anglers
Besides world-class fishing, the Gunnison Gorge is a white water adventure filled with exciting rapids, gorgeous Precambrian rock formations and abundant native Colorado wildlife such as bighorn sheep, river otters, mule deer, eagles and wild chukar. The spectacular views of the deep canyon wall reveal some of the oldest exposed rock formations on earth.
Your adventure will begin with a 4-wheel drive trip to the trailhead of Chukar Trail. Then a moderate hike down into the canyon brings you to the Chukar beach. You can opt for a one-, two- or three-day float trip in the canyon. We have to use pack horses to haul all the river and camping equipment down into the canyon. This is included in all of our package deals.!
WHAT TO EXPECT
Our trips start from the Gunnison River Pleasure Park located in between Delta, CO and Hotchkiss, CO. We meet you here at 6:00 am the morning of your trip. You will leave your vehicle parked here for the duration of your trip, as this is also, where your trip will end. The Gunnison Gorge does not have road access to the river. We transport you onto the Chukar trail
on a rough 4×4 road to the rim of the canyon where it is then a moderate 1-mile hike into the canyon. Guests are required to hike in their own gear. We provide dry bags with backpack straps for your personal gear. Guests wanting to avoid hiking their equipment in can arrange prior to the trip to have their gear horse packed into the canyon with our equipment for an additional horse-packing fee. We will have to have all gear at least two days prior to the trip in order for it
to go into the canyon with our equipment. Once at the river, you will meet the boats and equipment, which was horse-packed in the day before.
While on this trip, you will experience numerous class II and III rapids throughout this 14-mile stretch of river. This float offers both fantastic fishing and whitewater experience. Multi-day float fishing trips move at a slower pace. You will be fishing from the raft as well as walk/wade fishing from the shore.
What to Pack
Fishing Gear to Pack:
- Please remember, a current Colorado Fishing License is required!
- A 5, 6 or 7 wt. rod 8’6” to 9’ (available for rent), with Floating WF lines or
- 2X,3X, 4X, tippets and leaders, lead substitutes, strike indicators, fly floatants, which are all available at our local fly shops.
- Vests, chest waders and felt sole wading boots (available for rent at Gunnison
- River Expeditions – no cleated boots please). You can wet wade comfortably from July 1 st to September 1 st .
- Flies may be purchased on the river from the guides.
- Tying your own flies – call us at 970-872-3232 for suggestions and current patterns.
- Please remember, you will be carrying what you bring along on your back and in your hands for 1 mile down the Chukar Trail… but it’s worth it!!
What to Pack For Overnight Trips:
- Backpack or shoulder duffle. We also supply a shoulder strap dry bag.
- Sleeping bag and pad (available for rent)
- Toilet articles, biodegradable soap, sunscreen, prescription medicines
- Pocket knife, flashlight, unbreakable drinking cup
- Change of clothes, warm jacket or wool sweater or fleece top
- Brimmed hat, rain gear
- Two (2) pair of shoes (one to hike and get wet in, one for in camp)
- Camera & film, binoculars